Journal For Week of September 25, 2000

Last Update: Sunday, October 01, 2000 09:52 PM


Mon / Tue / Wed / Thu / Fri / Sat / Sun

Previous Week         Next Week

Monday September 25, 2000 

Getting back to my Linux project at work today which means a fresh install of eServer to get the ball rolling. It took two installs to get the video working correctly mostly cause I did not feel like fiddling with the setup and a reinstall was more expedient as I could do other work with the install trundled a long.

A bit of fiddling and reviewing my notes and I have a folder exported from Linux but have yet to be able to get Netware to pick it up. Netware reports that it cannot get a remote port for NFS program. Tomorrow I am going to have to go through the NFS gateway documentation to find what I have done wrong. I thought I had the Novel side of the equation all setup weeks ago and when I got the Linux part to the point it is now that everything would work. Obviously I was wrong.

The one gigabyte RAM upgrade kit for the NT server showed up at work today. Too much work being processed on the server for me to be able to shut down the server and do the upgrade this evening, so the VP is trying to schedule the required downtime for first thing in the morning so I can down the server and add the new memory to it.

Now I hate FutureShop, but there are times when they are the only game in town due to prices etc. Well I ordered my Casio PDA through them and their web site while it was OK for ordering, it bites big time when trying to follow-up on an order. Most of the day the site could not find my order, and tonight the secure portion of the site is down. Then to add to the pain they think that after all the confirming of information I did online, that a phone call is needed to confirm again my shipping address. They haven't returned my call which was in response to their message on my voice mail, but I suspect the phone call is their effort to sell me an extended warrantee.


Mon / Tue / Wed / Thu / Fri / Sat / Sun


Tuesday September 26, 2000

I made slow but good progress on my Linux project at work today. I managed to get NFS working and a directory exported. Then I found that somewhere along the line I broke the networking setup so that my Linux box will not talk to my network. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get the networking setup again and get Novell to import the Linux directory I have exported.

One thing I find rather disappointing is finding links on Linux web sites to "How to Articles" which do not exist. These people are not doing their cause, introducing Linux to the world by not having the documentation they advertise available for people to view and use.


Mon / Tue / Wed / Thu / Fri / Sat / Sun


Wednesday September 27, 2000

Arrrrgggg.. After a bit of playing with IP settings I got my Linux box to talk to the network, and see the exported file system on the Linux box but Novell will not mount it. Further research shows that the problem is possibly the version of NFS eServer 2.3 is using. According to the web admin tools for eServer I should be able to specify the version of NFS used, but my attempts to do this at the end of the day failed. Better luck tomorrow hopefully.

Now if the above paragraph gives the impression that I am getting frustrated, well I am. I know breaking new ground knowledge wise is never fast or easy. But every time this project looks like I am making headway I hit another brick wall. I finished the day mentally tired which makes getting anything done in the evening twice as hard. Hopefully after awhile the mental muscles will get used to this and I can have some mental energy left for weekday evenings to do some work for myself.

My neighbours over the rise are enjoying the baying of cows and the howling of K9s tonight. What a lovely symphony of sounds on a lovely fall evening. Not everyone will appreciate the sounds of nature, but I did while out for a late night jog.

I got hold of FutureShop and confirmed my shipping address for my order yesterday. This does not appear to have sped up the shipping process as my order still shows as unshipped. I really hope that their web site is wrong and that my PDA has been shipped. In about 10 days I am going out of town and would like to have some time to get my PDA setup so it will be a useful tool when I am away.

My Next Thirty Years
written by Phil Vassar

I think I値l take a moment, celebrate my age
The ending of an era and the turning of a page
Now it痴 time to focus in on where I go from here
Lord have mercy on my next thirty years

Hey my next thirty years I知 gonna have some fun
Try to forget about all the crazy things I致e done
Maybe now I致e conquered all my adolescent fears
And I値l do it better in my next thirty years

My next thirty years I知 gonna settle all the scores
Cry a little less, laugh a little more
Find a world of happiness without the hate and fear
Figure out just what I知 doing here
In my next thirty years

Oh my next thirty years, I知 gonna watch my weight
Eat a few more salads and not stay up so late
Drink a little lemonade and not so many beers
Maybe I値l remember my next thirty years

My next thirty years will be the best years of my life
Raise a little family and hang out with my wife
Spend precious moments with the ones that I hold dear
Make up for lost time here ,In my next thirty years

In my next thirty years

EMI April Music, Inc/Phil Vassar Music (ASCAP)




Mon / Tue / Wed / Thu / Fri / Sat / Sun


Thursday September 28, 2000

Quote of the day "damn it Jim, I'm a doctor not an internet provider" Rogers@home TV commercial.

Checking up on the Oracle backup this morning and there is no backup log file. By checking the event viewer I can see that the backup ran, but I have no log file to check to see if the tuning my boss did yesterday worked.

After installing 1 Gig of RAM the other day I think the performance of the server may have degraded. How can this be you say, as more memory should help server performance. Well I don't have the room on any of the hard drives at the moment to tune the pagefile to match the needs of the extra RAM. But this should be fixable this weekend as I have 4 36 gig hard drives being installed. I am hoping to setup several page files across a couple of the drives which see the least amount of traffic. Now that the Database has been tuned, once I get a chance to tune NT, we should have things performing quite well.

Whoopee, I got Linux and Novell talking to each other today. In the end I started to go through the log file for the NFS gateway which showed that the problem was that User ID and Group ID were not authenticating with the Linux box. Then silly me started to try and fine tune the user and group rights and broke everything again. 

The Little Girl

Sung by John Michael Montgomery

Her parents never took the young girl to church
Never spoke of His name - Never read her His word
Two non-believers walking lost in this world
Took their baby with them, what a sad little girl!

Her daddy drank all day and mommy did drugs
Never wanted to play or give kisses and hugs
She'd watch the TV and sit there on the couch
While her mom fell asleep and her daddy went out

And the drinking and the fighting,
Just got worse every night
Behind their couch she'd be hiding
Oh, what a sad little life

And like it always does, the bad just got worse
With every slap and every curse
Until her daddy in a drunk rage one night,
Used a gun on her mom and then took his life

And some people from the city
Took the girl far away
To a new mom and a new dad
Kisses and hugs every day

Her first day of Sunday school,
The teacher walked in
And a small little girl
Stared at a picture of Him
She said, "I know that man up there on that cross
I don't know his name but I know he got off
'Cause he was there in my old house
And held me close to his side
As I hid there behind our couch
The night that my parents died.


Mon / Tue / Wed / Thu / Fri / Sat / Sun


Friday September 29, 2000

Too tired to recall if anything happened today worth putting to words.


Mon / Tue / Wed / Thu / Fri / Sat / Sun


Saturday September 30, 2000

Morning post: Up way before sun rise and off to the office this morning to observe the installation of new larger hard drives in the Raid array on the NT server. I questioned the installer on why he would not want to put each drive for a mirror on a different adapter channel ( he had started out laying things out so drives would be paired on the same channel ). He did not have to think long to realize I was right and set about rearranging the drives. When I left the office one half of the Raid was setup as Raid-0 and I had started to restore last nights backup onto the drives. After lunch I will head back to observe the testing of the data restore, then we will install the other hard drives and convert the Raid-0 to a Raid-1 configuration.


Mon / Tue / Wed / Thu / Fri / Sat / Sun


Sunday October 01, 2000

Morning post: It was almost 11 when I finally made it home from work last night, so there was not enough fuel left in the tank to clean up my notes for a post.

The data restore took a bit longer to complete than expected so I had time to kill. The web certainly helped my endeavors as it was performing rather badly. It was like having plumbing of various sizes through out your home. While one tap delivers water normally, another runs very slowly. Then there are the plugged pipes which deliver nothing at all.

I also started and new Linux install as I had broke the rights to the point were I couldn't seem to fix them, and a reinstall was the fastest way to get things working again. This also gave me the chance to cleanup my installation and configuration notes so when I get things working 100% it will be easy to setup a production system. And yes I have heard that my Linux work will go into production use, and that likely next week some pressure from high in the food chain will start to put some pressure on to get things working ASAP.

My Linux notes grew fast and I slowly started getting the rights for access to the exported Linux directory sorted out,. things worked well via telnet which I expected, but when I mapped to the virtual volume on the Novell server which represents the export Linux directory, I could only browse the contents. Actually this was a step forward as at first I could not see the contents of the directory at all.

One thing I learned is that even though Linux will mount an exported file system, this does not indicate that all is well. I found that if the file system is exported properly that Linux will shut down correctly, but if the configuration is wrong, the shut down hangs trying to shut down the exported file system.

Too much time spend on NFS with more hours to kill waiting for drive mirrors to rebuild. So I started off on a new tangent to try and keep my brain going. Started to investigate Samba which I could use instead of NFS. The nice thing about Samba is it is better documented and would make communications more reliable by taking at least one step out of the process which I think the boss man would like. The only problem is than some programming might have to be changed if some of the links are hard coded in the barcode system. Should be easy enough to fix I would think.

Evening post: Time for the snow report which shows a little snow accumulation at the foot of the ski hills west of Calgary. Picture here

Went by chapters to pick up a copy of Rolling Stone and came out with a Linux magazine and a book on Samba. Like I need more reading material! Actually I can make good use of the Samba book at work this week.

Copyright ゥ 1999, 2000 John Doucette. All Rights Reserved


Journal Index


Registry Hacks


Find Employment Via the Internet